Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I Assume Too Much

Don't ever assume because that makes an ASS out of U and ME. Apparently, things are not all right. Sybil told me today that she is not over all the events that have occurred. She asked me if I had not noticed that she was less "touchy-feely"? To tell the truth, no. I've hardly been alone with Sybil, since last week. Let's run down the last few day's events:
  • Friday - We had sleepovers, so instead of 3 kids, we had 3 extra kids.
  • Saturday - We had 6 kids to deal with all morning.
  • Saturday afternoon - I took Son#2 to his all afternoon baseball tournament. Got home around 9:00 pm and very tired. She took our other 2 kids plus the 2 others to the nearby city (around 40 minutes away) for shopping and to get out of the house. They got home around 10:30. We all went to bed.
  • Sunday - I got everyone up and moving that morning. Sybil took the 2 extra kids plus our older 2 to church. I took Son#2 to finish his baseball tournament. Afterwards, I took him to grab a bite to eat and then to my office. I spent the next 3 hours shampooing the carpets. She took Son#1 to his youth activities, and I took the younger 2 back home. I came down with a massive cold that night and had no sleep.
  • Monday - After work I ran a couple of errands (one for Sybil and one for me), went home, and went bed by 7:30 pm (no sleep the night before). She took Son #2 to another baseball game and didn't get home until around 10:00 pm.
Until today, I had been planning a trip to the beach during the kids' Spring Break. No one else in the family has ever been to the beach, so I figure it'll be fun besides we've never really been on a real vacation. Being the blissfully ignorant fool that I am, I think things are going along pretty good. Sybil informs me that she doesn't want to go on a vacation with me, especially given how I've treated her over the past. "Do you really think a vacation will smooth things over with her?" she asks. I tell her that I had no intention of using a vacation to butter her up but for the reasons given above. She tells me that she doesn't want to go with me and didn't I know from the way she has been acting towards me? I tell her that I've barely seen her, so no I didn't know.

When does it end? Sybil has already had her pound of flesh, right? To her I treat her badly and she treats me so well. Ultimately, it is my fault. I have not been demanding enough of her and have let her take me for granted.

7 comments:

So Gone Over You said...

Sybil is seeming more and more like an appropriate nickname for your wife.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Anonymous said...

I'm being serious when I ask, "Has she considered counseling? Maybe an rx for Prozax?" I'm not kidding. Maybe she just needs to take the edge off. Her own counseling for her own problems may be in order.

Lori said...

Ok I know this isn't funny....But everytime I read you referring to your wife as Sybil...I had to laugh!!!!....I wonder how many other husbands do this??...LOL

Have a great day!!!

aphron said...

Counseling is totally out of the question. Prozac and other medications are too. She doesn't feel that counseling really helps people, and drugs have the potential for side effects. Besides, Sybil would say that she isn't the problem, but I am.

Had another row last night. Pretty much along the same lines. Sybil threw in me not listening to her. I listen; I just don't always do what she wants. She counts that as not listening.

I don't think this will end. I won't leave because of the kids. Someone has to shield them.

Lori said...

You know you make a very good point....How are the kids doing in all of this???

FTN said...

That's a long weekend to hold onto a grudge.

Perhaps suggest taking the kids and going on vacation without her, if she'd rather not go?

You could also go in for marriage counselling by yourself. Tell her you are going, and do it. You might even mention that if she does care about the future of your marriage, perhaps she could join you and try it out.

Amanda said...

I agree - if she doesn't want to go on a vacation with you - she doesn't have to. I say you go by yourself. I'm sure you will have a good time - probably even better than if you had her along given the way things are currently. This would also prove that you really did think of this for the reasons you stated - and she will get the message that when one cannot play nice with others, it can get very lonely.