Thursday, July 27, 2006

Manifesto

I'd thought I'd take a break from Sybil bashing for awhile. It seems to be getting old. Reading my posts makes me think it's same stuff different day. Since things are going pretty good with her right now, I thought I might bore you with why I blog. After over one hundred posts, it's about time, right?

All marriages have problems. I do believe that a marriage without conflict is in trouble. However, I hate conflict. I hate the emotions that run through me and the person talking to me. The feeling of letting my emotions get the better of me is a feeling of helplessness. Yet, an argument, no matter what size, is wrapped in emotion. This blog is a way for me to noodle out my emotional responses.

Some have wondered why I stay with Sybil. There are times I wonder the same thing (see the last post). Marriage, to me, is not disposable. For all of her faults, Sybil is committed to this marriage. There may be times that she will not show it. There may be times that she may seem to sabotage it. However, that is one thing we have in common is our commitment to this marriage.

Before I married Sybil, I had many friends that I hung out with. Since Sybil and I got married and then six months later we had a child (do the math), I have had little time to maintain the friendships I had nor to make new ones. With my work schedule and kids' schedules, making friends just takes too much energy. Posting about my frustrations is similar to talking with a best friend and venting. It is sad, in a way, that I have to rely on a nameless, faceless internet, but that is something. Where would I be without it? Alone? Cut off? Blogging maintains a connection. I am always amazed that anyone comments, and new people are always dropping by. Thank you, friends.

Reading some of my posts, one might get the idea that Sybil is some succubus from the ninth level of hell. Sometimes she is. However, she has many admirable traits. She is kind, empathetic, selfless (in some ways but maybe not as much as she believes), and loves helping people. This blog is a microcosm of who she is. I doubt anyone could remain married to a woman that I have painted her out to be. This blog is a means of grappling with the emotions of marital conflict.

Some have commented and questioned why I stay with Sybil. That is not an easy answer. First of all, what would I gain by leaving her? Independence? Doubtful. I still have to work. I would still have three kids to care for. Independence is an illusion. Happiness? Maybe. I've wondered about that, especially during one of our arguments. Would I be happier away from her? I'm not sure. Happiness is fleeting. I'm not sure the potential emotional damage to my children is worth my happiness. That's not something I'm willing to risk. Do I love her? In the end that is what it boils down to. I understand, a little, why someone stays with an abuser. Although I'm not saying Sybil is abusive, there are times I' ve wondered about it. Unfortunately, I cannot look at her without my breath catching in my throat. After 13 years, I still look upon her in amazement. That feeling is more than just simple lust. That feeling has more length and breadth than any stirring of the loins. That is the real reason. I think it would take something catastrophic (like her having an affair) to push me to leaving her.

Well, this post seems to be rambling. I'm still going to write about my frustrations and anger with Sybil. In the future, I want to try to focus on the positive aspects too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post. I commend you for it not because you're saying something nice about Sybil or because it's a change of pace but because this post seems to come deep from the heart and shows a desire for things not shown previously in your posts.

As always, I hope for nothing less than happiness for all of you involved.

~Megumi

Anonymous said...

Write the good, write the bad. Maybe someday you can figure it all out. That is the way I view it.

FTN said...

Good points. It's good to keep things in perspective both as a writer and as a reader. I have to remember that many blogs are about one aspect of a person or relationship, so they don't tell the whole story.

aphron said...

megumi-
Aw shucks! I'd hoped to write something a little more positive. Hopefully, I've succeeded.

hopeless flirt-
I plan to continue to write the bad (that's the reason I started this blog), but I hope to incorporate more good.

ftn-
We read blogs and forget that they are a snapshot into our lives.

Anteros said...

I’m not sure I would classify it as abuse really; I think we all at some point in time reach an end to maturing or a severe slowing. From the arguments that you’ve conveyed it seems like she stopped maturing long ago and refuses to let go of the small things in life that are unimportant to get the blood pressure up. I think a lot of the way we are depends on the people around us and who we’ve grown up with. If you grow up with people who are calm all the time and don’t let things stress you, you will be like them and in like respect will be like those who you know that are wound tight.

I believe the real commitment in marriage comes into play when you talk about children. I’ve never firmly believed that two people must always remain together, it’s not reality, and reality is that people change sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. It would be ignorant to ignore that fact and judge someone for leaving a spouse based on a commitment made years ago. Honestly, how many commitments have you broken in your life? Some you’ll make and break within the same day, and it’s not to say that honoring a commitment should be taken lightly but it is to say that we are human and we have choices and it’s ok to make the hard choice either way.

Children make a huge difference and that balance truly comes out in weighing the benefits to the children by releasing each other from a love-lacking relationship for the hopes of showing them one that does have love or showing them you can stick it out. When you’re 80 years old and still married those blow ups will be gone if you make it that far, you’ll be too tired to bother fighting, the question you should ask yourself is can you live your life the way it is to get that far and have no regrets.

There is no doubt staying is honorable, but no matter what you do, take care of yourself.