Friday, May 18, 2007

Don't Say I Didn't Warn You

*WARNING* Too much information.

I think now is a good time to revisit a subject that has been bothering me for a long time: by lagging libido.

When I was a teenager, I was pretty typical in that I wanted to have sex ALL OF THE TIME. Looking back, it seems that was all that was on my mind. Girls were developing all sorts of interesting aspects to their anatomy, and I was enjoying the development. The girls I dated usually kept the brakes on, so I was not having any sex (if you believe Bill Clinton). At least not sexual intercourse. It wasn't until I was a senior in high school that I had my first episode of sexual intercourse. It was less than I expected.

In college I had intercourse with 3 women, but did other things with about 3 more. I was still wanting it ALL OF THE TIME. However, I learned that sex usually came with an emotional price tag. I wouldn't have sex unless we both used the "L" word. I felt I was pretty normal in my desire for sex ALL OF THE TIME.

In grad school, the class work was much more intense. I took about 25 hours of classes each quarter. There was little time for meeting the opposite sex, except for those in the same grad school. Since it was a very small school and many were married, the odds were against me. I met Sybil there, and we became very serious. We had SEX ALL OF THE TIME.

Sybil became pregnant, I loved her and couldn't imagine not raising my child, so I married her. For the first few years we had SEX some OF THE TIME. However, it wasn't until we were married that Sybil showed "Sybil-ness." During this time I came to realize that she has a temper. A really quick, bad temper. Having grown up in a house with a woman that could quickly become unhinged (a topic for another post...Freud would love it), I learned to walk on eggshells. When Sybil is in her sweet mode, she is very caring and loving. When she is in her pissed off mode, there is nothing on this side of hell that would change her emotional state.

Today, I am facing a change in my libido. Why is this? I could have SEX ALL OF THE TIME. Sybil is accommodating. This has really bothered me. I've even talked to my doctor about it. He knows the kind of stress I have with my profession, so he chalked it up to that. I agree it is stressful, but I'm not sure it is work related. I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing things. Work tends to stay at work, and home tends to stay at home. If I've had a really bad day at work, I may need about an hour to regroup. Afterwards, I'm fine. Nope. I think it is the stress and strain of home.

Home should be a refuge. Home should be a fortress against the world. For me home has increasingly become more stressful than anything at the office. There have been times that I would rather stay at the office than go home. That is one of the things affecting my libido.

My decreased desire to have SEX ALL OF THE TIME with Sybil has nothing to do with her outward appearance. When we go out, men turn their heads to watch her. She is still very attractive. In fairness to Sybil, it is not all because of her emotional issues. Sometimes I get tired of doing all of the work. I get tired of plain, ol' vanilla sex.

Her idea of foreplay: holding my hand right before she falls into the land of Nod. Wow. That really revs my engine. When we have sex, it is mainly on me. I have to be the one to take charge. I don't mind doing it some of the time, but all of the time becomes tiring. I have to deal with that in deciding what to have for lunch. Rarely does she decide that, much less how to have sex.

So that's the situation. What is to be done? Talking? Right, that always fixes things. I've done it until I could puke coat hangers. Unfortunately, we're dealing with basic personality issues. Those cannot be talked away. Confronting someone on every, single issue eventually will make that person avoid one like the plague. Compromise is good, when BOTH do it.

I hope you've enjoyed me venting my spleen.

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Okay, I know this is going to sound WAY off the wall - but my suggestion is to get on CraigsList, find a bed buddy, and have some hot, wild sex!

Just a thought.

J.

Emily said...

It's not that surprising that you are kind of "off" Sybil. You're tired of being yelled at over trivial offences, bored by ho-hum sex and tired of always being in charge.

I am just wondering if you have REALLY told her these things. Sometimes we try so hard to be nice and constructive about problems that the message just doesn't get through. Even if she gets upset, maybe it would be good to have a fight about something that is actually bugging YOU.

aphron said...

hoosiergirl5-
Ah, temptation. I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind. That would probably create A LOT more problems than it solves. I think the sex thing is a symptom and the problem.

emily-
I have tried, but not to that extent. Whenever we start talking about her overreactions, she will always point to me the cause. There is no accepting responsibility for her part. She chalks it up to "not really yelling" or "not really overreacting." Although Sybil would say otherwise, she does not take criticism, period.

Anonymous said...

I've been where you find yourself for about 5 years or so, though Queenie has never been quite as accomodating as you say Sybil is now. After years of conflict I find I don't have that desire all-the-time anymore. Also have the same issue with communication, Quenie doesn't want to hear it and, even when she will, it's my problem not hers.

There are a few things that have happened over those 5 years that are of note:
- Now that I'm not all horn-doggy (or maybe something else changed) her moods have been more stable. The angry moods are more rare, though the arguing has remained constant. The arguments just don't escalate like they did before.
- Strangely the frequency of sex dipped at first but has now stabilized to just a little less than it was before. I have had to adjust what I consider her 'initiating' to be because like Sybil, it's not exactly what I'd consider clear-cut.
- I don't miss the former 'us' at all. The current us is hardly ideal but certainly less stressful.
- The daughters and Queenie get along much better after the mellow-out. A welcome change.

Chris said...

Hello, you have a wonderful blog, can you please contact me at linkexchange@edenfantasys.com? I have something to discuss with you
Regards, Chris
(Please can you delete this comment after your decision?

Anonymous said...

Hi Aphron. I just added you to my list of blogs I'll read regularly (which means there are a couple for me to drop - not enough time on my hands). Just read this first post, and yep, I see some similar things going on, and some different things. I am pretty sure there is some good information we can share and learn from each other.

Chris, my blog is not so different, and you are more than welcome to come over and read what I have to say and share your own thoughts.

Lady Let said...

Hello Aphron:
I am a regular reader of your blog, although this is my first comment here.
I know how hard it is sometimes to try to express our problems to our partners without hurting them, but I've always thought that one of the most important things in a relationship is honesty (even if this could be cruel honesty).
It is all about communication and understanding and I am so aware of how difficult could be to communicate effectively, trying to be constructive.
My own experience is that when I had the chance to express my worries, my doubts, my anger, my sadness, I felt so much relaxed and as a result our sex life improved tremendously.
I encourage my partner to talk about the same as well, sometimes I do not succeed and I have to read between the lines, and I can tell this is a lot more stressing.
Even when what the other part has to say is not nice, nothing is worse than not knowing what is going on.
Finally, explore each other. Play. Have fun. Always. Surprise the other. Fantasise. Try different things. Find time for yourselves. It always work.
:)
Lady Let

aphron said...

xi summit-
I see us heading into that direction. I've stopped pressuring and things are different. I'm not sure for they are directly connected.

silent male-
Having read your blog, I saw similar things going on. We seem to be traveling down the same road.

lady let-
Ah, communication. The problem is the confronting a volatile person. One never knows what the reaction will be. I have talked with Sybil on numerous occasions about her outbursts over trivial matters (at least to me), and the response I get is I made her mad. As far as the sexual issues, I have communicated my desires to her over the years. Since some things are outside her comfort zone (which means 85% of the time me initiating and ending in missionary), I can either adjust my desires or continue with trying to change her boundaries. It's easier to change my desires.

MommyHeadache said...

I think if you have talked about how to improve your sex life with your wife, and nothing has improved then why not get divorced? You do not sound as if you are a close couple.

Digger Jones said...

If I'm not mistaken, I think Sybil tends to hang on to conflict much longer than you, but I could be wrong. Her memory would be better than mine. I'm blessed with feeble mindedness that way!

Well MY libido is not what it was just a year or a few months ago, and much of it is the conflict business and the rest is just age and declining health.

"Accomodation" is not exactly what an old guy needs in the sexual health department. We like to feel wanted and desired as much as anyone else, and initiating and participating in new ways is all part of that.

And older women wonder why we look at the younger gals...

D.