Monday, June 11, 2007

14

years of marriage. Sybil and I celebrated our fourteenth anniversary yesterday. Who would have thought.

Ahh, I remember it well.

We were in grad school. She had not been feeling well. I told her she was pregnant and needed to get tested. She thought no it was a only a stomach thing. So one month later, we are at a Planned Parenthood place to get her tested. Yep, she's pregnant. Now, Sybil will say I took her to an abortion clinic to get tested. Although it was an abortion clinic, I took her to a place that offered free testing. We were poor students with no health insurance.

After much soul searching, I asked Sybil, "Well, do you wanna?" I know. I'm a hopeless romantic. We went to the court house and got married on the anniversary of the judge, who had also gotten married by a judge. For our reception dinner, we went to Wendy's. We topped it off with a Frosty. The next day we drove across the state for our honeymoon. Sybil had morning sickness the WHOLE TIME. It rained.

We've survived a lot: 3 unexpected pregnancies (she's Catholic...that's my story and I'm sticking to it), stress of grad school, poverty, success, etc.

I blogged about all of the crap I put up with with Sybil. I'm not truly over it, yet. However, I'd rather have to deal with her crap than learn someone else's. When someone here asks why don't I divorce her, it's rather simple: I love her.

Damn it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is always the rub, isn't it? That old "Because I Love Her" issue .... 14 years, congrats!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. In fourteen years, there most likely have been some good moments. Here is to hoping they happen often and powerfully.

Confused Husband said...

Happy Anniversary!

Almost sounds like SR and I. Except we weren't grad students or anything like that.
CH

Lady Let said...

Surely these 14 years were filled with sweet moments to remember. And the hardish ones that you experienced probably made you stronger.
Celebrate that love!
Lady Let

Desmond Jones said...

Oh, Aphron, you hopeless romantic, you!

Congratulations on 14 years, and here's hoping that, you know, that love thing - only gets better.

aphron said...

all-
If one were to read the archives, one might guess that we have a terrible marriage. Although Sybil can really fight over the most trivial thing, our marriage is pretty good. I'm learning (after 14 years) to accept her as her and roll with the punches.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I was a freshman in high school 14 years ago. Just for some perspective.

FTN said...

A belated congratulations from me for your 14th anniversary. What do you get for 14? Aluminum? Paper? Uranium? Something like that?

And I must say, "Well, do you wanna?" really makes even the most mediocre marriage proposal look pretty good by comparison. :-)

aphron said...

tajalude-
Thanks. Now I feel so much better about my age.

ftn-
I know...I'm quite the romantic. At the time it seemed that everything was closing in on me. I was too wrapped up in my problems to be much help to Sybil.

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet!
Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Just a bit early. Happy Father's day.

Unknown said...

You must be giving something to each other to last 14 years. I know the tunnel of love is not an easy one to dig.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

How does that old adage go? The evil you know is better than the evil you don't... or something like that.