Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Denial Isn't Just a River in Egypt

Denial is a subversive thing. One never knows one is denial. We all have aspects in our lives that we subconsciously turn a blind eye.

I've been living with an abuser for over 16 years. There, I said it. I don't mean in a physical sense but a verbal and psychological sense. Years of yelling and constant criticism have taken their toll. The affects are insidious. Kind of a frog in boiling water kind of thing. It's amazing really. It has only been recently that I've noticed its effects on me: I've taken on the negative attributes of Sybil.

In an epiphany after one of our numerous spats, it came to me. I have, unwittingly, started to act like Sybil. I've developed an extremely short fuse; I've started trying to shout down any opposition; I've started to shift the blame to others; I've become ultra-defensive. I used to be such a laid back person. Sadly, I've noticed a change in my behavior. I've noticed an ugliness about me that smacks of Sybil.

I've been in denial about this for a long time. I won't go into details about what brought everything into focus. It was my response during one of our numerous, stupid arguments. Sybil started yelling at me; I retaliated by yelling at her; it ended with my yelling, "Whatever!", which brought the argument to an end. That was 10 days ago. Sybil is acting distant. I wish she could see that her way of going into an argument ratchets up the emotional response from me. I've tried to bring this to her attention, but she always blames me for her reaction. Typical for an abuser. Abusers never take responsibility for the abuse they dish out. If only the abusee would stop doing ______, the abuser would not have to react that way.

Not only has years of abuse changed my behavior in these situations, but also it has affected my self-esteem. Only now I am coming to realize that years of putting up with being made to feel inferior by constant criticism and verbal abuse has really taken its toll on my self-image. In this struggle, I have to maintain my self. I must rely upon my inner strength to keep going.

Denial is at an end. Like many victims of abuse, I defended Sybil in my mind. If only I hadn't done ______ or had done ______, then everything would have been great. The only problem is I'm not perfect. I know I am a hopelessly flawed person. EVERYONE is, though. Until a few years ago, I have always been able to forgive Sybil and move on. Within those dark times, I held anger and resentment towards Sybil. These emotions were brought on by Sybil's attacks. When I had my epiphany, I realized that I will never be able to be that happy, self-confident person again unless I forgive Sybil. Sybil is hopelessly flawed. I must be able to forgive her and not give into my baser instincts of lashing out. I must take the high road no matter what happens.

I don't know what the future will hold for Sybil and me. Divorce? Reconciliation? Status quo? Two strangers living together? All I know is that I must regain my self.

Later,
Aphron

3 comments:

Val said...

If you ever figure out that key to forgiveness - by all means, please share!
[In case you haven't figured it out yet] - my ex was/is the consummate master of psychological manipulation & verbal abuse... Most of the time, the SOB didn't even have to raise his voice. It truly chills me these days when I contemplate the years of unfettered access he's had to Z in which to wreak his damage. Better start saving up for his therapy now! (only half joking)
But here's a good joke I recently heard: I bought one of those therapeutic beds, but it was no good. I still woke up blaming my father!
[maybe we insomniacs are easily amused]

Emily said...

Dear Aphron

Only you can make decisions about your marriage and your future - but never put up with abuse. It only encourages them to give you more.

Anonymous said...

I'm a silent follower of your blog, Desmond's/Craig, and FTN until recently when he put a password requirement on his. But for my Christian conviction, I'd say divorce her - for your sanity. Such a shame that the one thing that should bring you joy and contentment is your greatest source of contempt. We live but only once, I sympathise with your existence
Sh