Friday, July 24, 2009

Busted!

I admit it. I was busted yesterday. Sybil and I were eating lunch talking about the day's happenings. Since we were seated with a view looking directly at the front door, we could see every one as they entered the restaurant.

A reasonably attractive, young woman walked in with her boyfriend/significant other. What was noticeable was that her top was low cut with a "V". Apparently, as we talked my eyes followed her to her seat. Sybil noticed this and made a comment. Now, I do not remember thinking unclean thoughts. I did remember thinking that she was reasonably attractive, with a shorter, goofy looking guy, and her hair was similar in cut to the restaurant owner's wife.

When Sybil made her comment, I, jokingly, remarked, "Yeah, but I'll be going home with you." Well, Sybil did not find that funny. She asked what I was thinking as the woman moved towards her seat, because I couldn't complete a sentence. At that time, I could not remember. I still thought it was no big deal (forgetting that EVERYTHING is a big deal to Sybil). Finally, I said something about the similarity of the hair. Sybil rolled her eyes. Then she said something about this being just like what happened before we were married. Yep, that's over 16 years ago.

The incident she is referring to is a meeting with an ex. It was not meant to be clandestine. Sybil and I were not that serious (I guess in my mind). It was in an extremely public place (we walked down a public street). For me the meeting was to try to get some closure (it's complicated). Anyway, that was event that was thrown into my face.

Now, I totally get her being unhappy with me ogling another woman. I understand her insecurity (well...kind of). It was stupid of me, but I admit it was an unconscious act. I don't get having something that happened a long time ago used to bash me over my head. Sigh. That's Sybil.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I dunno what to say about this. You get caught, you get caught.

And some people never forget.

FTN said...

Like most of the blow-ups you have with Sybil, I can't help but laugh. It's just kind of funny. Sorry.

I don't even understand how it was AT ALL like what you mentioned happening 16 years ago.

aphron said...

xavier-
Oh, I know I got caught. It was kind of silly on my part. I wasn't really dodging the issue or anything, just trying to make light of it. I wasn't about to walk over there and try to "pick her up".

ftn-
EVERYTHING matters to Sybil. Our biggest "discussions" are over the littlest things.

selkie said...

shrugs, I don't see the big deal. I didn't go blind when I got married, nor did D. I see no issue with being discretely admiring of a nice looking woman or man - and while I don't forget things, I do forgive and once forgiven, its a done deal.

aphron said...

selkie-
You forget that EVERYTHING is a big deal to Sybil.