Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm a Jerk

Firstly, I apologize for my lack of posting. I've been extremely busy putting out fires at work. Also, Sybil and I have been too focused on work to really get into it. That ended last night.

I've written in these pages bemoaning the "vanilla" sex we have. I try to look on the positive side of things. At least I'm having sex. I've come to the realization that Sybil and I will never have the same proclivities, shall we say? Like everything else in her life, Sybil wants sex to be ordered, and she wants sex to be on her terms only. After fifteen years of marriage, I decided that certain things will always be off limits and to keep trying only adds to my and Sybil's frustration. I gave up on trying and made myself focus only enjoying what I was able to do in those narrow confines.

Before I get into the matter of last night, let me say that I am not asking for anything crazy. I'm only asking for certain things of an oral variety. Both giving and receiving. I'm only asking for her to have a more active role in things. Basically, our sex life goes like this: I make my move (either kissing or touching or both), she lies back in expectation, I take off her clothes, I take of my clothes, and then we go at it. This is how it goes 85% of the time. To "spice" things up, she may go to her fall back position, if I let it be known that's how I want it. Essentially, Sybil might be classified as a "sub." Ironically, she wants to be in complete control of the situation. The dichotomy is really confusing.

Anyway, last night we were in bed getting ready to go to sleep. Sybil had her head on my stomach and was touching me while we watched TV. I was touching her too, but because of the angle she was a bit more intimate. I was really enjoying this. It is rare for her to do this. I was greedy for it. At one point she decided to become a bit more playful and tried to move her head to block my view of the TV. I playfully moved her head down. She jumped out of bed feigning indignation. After a minute or two, she got back in bed with her back to me. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I kind of became pissed off. When Sybil got back into bed, she had her foot on me. Apparently, this was my signal to begin. I should have known that she was only playing. During all of this, I knew Sybil wanted me to take over, yet why do I have to do all of the work all of the time? She started the session, but I have to finish it. I did not make move towards her. Since she didn't get the reaction she was hoping for, she became pissed off herself. A small argument ensued, and I am a jerk.

Now that I've had time to reflect on things, I see that I did probably act a little childishly. It would have been nice, if she would have just kissed me or whatever. I would have probably taken over from there. Her reaction of jumping out bed and acting like that put me off. When she did that, it killed the mood for me. I guess I had an idea of how things would go. When things didn't go that way, I got mad. Of course, I could say that about Sybil. She thought by acting "hard to get" I would become even more excited. In this case it backfired for her. I see that I may have acted selfishly, but Sybil does think she did anything wrong. This dichotomy is killing me. Either take control of the situation and do things the way one wants it done, or one should let the partner be control. Don't try to be a submissive control freak. It is kind of schizophrenic.

10 comments:

selkie said...

I feel for you ... its frustrating not being able to be met at least halfway. It is also a bit demeaning (at leaset from my perspective) becuase you feel like you're constantly "asking" instead of just receiving or having a reciprocal dynamic.

C.M. said...

I honestly don't think you're asking for any more than you're willing to give.... but I'm that way myself. Personally I don't think it's really logical to expect the other person to always initiate sex.

You know, I've been reading your blog for a long time now, and I've never really commented. This time, however, I'm finally going to ask the one question I've always wanted to ask:

Is it possible that she just doesn't know how to see things from your perspective?

aphron said...

selkie-

It's not so much demeaning as it is a lot of work on my part with little reciprocity. I don't initiating the vast majority of the time, nor do I mind being in control the vast majority of the time. I do mind having Sybil initiate and then change gears and want me to be in control.

c.m.-
I'd say she sees things as black and white in her own world only. She has a blind spot in seeing it from my perspective. It seems that I am the one that has to bend.

Anonymous said...

It's called being inconsiderate

FTN said...

I think the key phrase here that you sort of glossed over is "I playfully moved her head down." She obviously took offense to this, and I'm assuming there is more to it than what you are saying... Perhaps it didn't seem very "playful" to her?

But then, from what I've read, she can get pretty upset at just about anything, so I could be wrong.

Trueself said...

You know, it sounds a lot like passive aggressive behavior on both sides. Sometimes, when one person continually pulls the passive aggressive stuff the other one eventually retalliates in kind. Maybe that's what you and Sybil are doing. Or maybe I'm just projecting from my own messed up marital history.

deb said...

Well, if I was trying to do a little something-somthing to my husband and he moved my head out of the way to continue watching the TV, I'd take that as a signal that I should stop trying to do a little something-something. And if he was complaining that I never did anything... and I initiated and the TV was more important, I'd be pissed.

And this is more of a statement about MY MARRIAGE than yours, lol

Dayli said...

I have to admit - I've been "Sybil" many times in my marriage before.

When I try to rationalize it, I can't. It's not fair to my husband - and it's no fun for me. And I still behave that way, a LOT, when it comes to marital sex.

Which is bizzare because I'm completely different with other men.

Sometimes I think if my husband were more... assertive, aggressive, or inventive - I'd be turned on enough to "take the lead" in sex and make things interesting for both us. I know I can. But I guess we're both settling for... vanilla.

Digger Jones said...

About the only way to change things is to go after the change at the point of contention. Namely, if you ask for more from her, she'll tell you that you are being selfish for wanting more from her than she's willing to give. But here's the deal: She expects you to settle for whatever she's willing to offer. By putting you in charge, she is avoiding responsibility but she retains the right to be in control at all times.

So you're left with that age old question: Bad sex or no sex? If it's not that bad, then there's no problem and you get what you want.

Anyway, I can relate all too well.
D.

Bunny said...

BTDT - sigh.

btw - it's called topping from the bottom when the sub wants to control while being "submissive"