Thursday, February 24, 2005

Hollywood Catches Case of Oscar Blahs

In this The New York Times article, the author, Sharon Waxman, goes to great lengths to try to answer why no one cares about the Oscars. Well, let me take a crack at it. Maybe because a lot of the movies people enjoy are not nominated. I saw the Aviator; I was less than impressed. It was an ok movie, but I did not think it was Oscar material. Also, perhaps Hollywood lost some of creativity this year. We did not really get the huge block buster movie. There was no must see movie. Million Dollar Baby may be a good movie, but Clint Eastwood's last movie (Mystic River) was less than inspiring. With the exception of Unforgiven, I cannot remember an Eastwood directed movie I liked. I guess I am being a stick in the mud, but if a movie critic likes a movie, I try to avoid it like the plague. Hollywood was on a binge of remakes of late, and that hardly makes for Oscar material. It is my humble opinion that folks watch the Oscars to see the outfits rather who won what. Maybe it is not just Hollywood that has the blahs.

No comments: