Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentine's Day

Well, the wife and I took the kids to dinner last night to celebrate Valentine's Day. I gave her a bouquet of red tulips, which had just begun to open. She seemed surprised, because I generally don't do that sort of thing.

Maybe it had to with the fight we had earlier that day, which was about a conversation we had after watching the Stepford Wives remake. I really did not like the movie much. I explained that I thought it was full of stereotypes: gay stereotypes, career women stereotypes and, finally, men stereotypes. The plot was basically that men did not want to live in the shadow of their wives. These men preferred a woman, who was kind of June Cleaver and Martha Stewart rolled into one. This, of course, led to an hour long debate as to whether or not anti-male bias exists. She did not believe that any such bias exists. I asked her to look at nearly every sitcom. The father/man is a total idiot, who could not find his ass without the aid of his wife. Look at the several commercials: the Verizon commercial, the Dodge Caravan commercial just to name two in the last 1-2 months. We never really came to any agreement. She basically thought I was reading too much into it. I said maybe, but I think it is a valid hypothesis and should be tested. So I offered to watch TV for the next week and see how much bias there is. This brought our conversation to close or so I thought.

As we were getting ready for bed, the Munsters were on TV. She, sarcastically, pointed out that this show had an anti-ugly bias. Now, I realize this was meant as a joke, but it seemed she had no credence in the point I was making. I told her I thought that was belittling and rather insulting. This led to nice little spat with me going to sleep angry.

So, now it is Valentine's Day and I'm pissed. All she had to do was apologize for her remark and everything is hunky dory. Instead, she tells me to get over it. The comment was a joke. After a lengthy "discussion" she finally admitted that what she said could be construed as an insult. She did apologize, but not before she made admit to reading into her comments. She feels that I was angry because I did not agree with her assessment of me being wrong about anti-male bias.

Since I don't like confrontation nor my wife to be mad at me, I bought her tulips for Valentine's Day. What a puss, huh!

No comments: