Friday, January 27, 2006

At Least an Ogre has Layers

Digger says he is becoming an orc. He relates an incident involving some differences of opinion about how to spend some money. He totally flips out. I can relate.

Naturally, children were involved. Wife was asked to help watch the nursery at church Wednesday afternoon. The kids were at their swim team practice. Since we go to church Wednesday nights and the community center (where they practice) is about a block away, she asked them to walk from the center to church and stay together. I must say our kids are awesome (aged 12, 9, and today 7). They are well mannered, smart, and a joy to be around. We have tried to instill a sense of responsibility into them. Anyway, I asked if I should leave work early to pick them up. She said no; they'll be ok walking. I leave work slightly earlier than usual. She calls to check on my status and asks me to keep an eye for the kids, since their route was on my way. Since they should have left 30 minutes earlier and their route is totally crime free (it runs by the police station), I said I hadn't thought about them and what was the big deal? She gave me an attitude and said, "Whatever." This provoked me for some reason. I became angry. When I got to church, she asked me to find the kids and make sure they are ok. I did but not in a pleasant manner. I acted like a total jerk (at church no less. Maybe I should go more often).

Although I should not have let my emotions get the better of me, I never worried about the kids' safety. As a matter of fact, a friend from said swim team (who goes to our church) tried to give them a ride. They were emphatic about saying no. They walked the whole way. Wife maintains I should have worried about the kids. What sane person wouldn't. I know times change and we hear about child abductions, murder, etc., but I knew they were safe. However, Wife totally fretted about it. Needless to say, we got into a major fight. I do feel bad about acting like an ogre towards her; I'm just not sure worrying about the kids was warranted.

3 comments:

aphron said...

When I said that I had offered and she decline, she maintains that I should have still done it. I should have still rushed over from work and worried about the kids. It's lose lose situation. I don't get it either. Wife judges me on what she would've done.

Anonymous said...

If SHE would have picked them up, then she should have. If they were not safe (hence not to be worried about) then she shouldn't have allowed them to walk, or to make other arrangements - such as the friend from church who was at the swimming pool. Maybe she felt a bit guilty afterwards and was projecting her worry and guilt to you?

Lori said...

I find times I worry about my daughter....even thou she's safe....and I know it....I guess it's just a Mother thing....and there's that in the back on my mind....""YOU just never know!!!""

Have a great day!!!!