Sunday, January 15, 2006

Misogyny or Am I a Fuddy-Duddy?

Wife is off with some of her friends at a Desperate Housewives (DH) get together. My question is why do so many women watch this show? It does nothing but portray women in a terrible light. Every stereotype is on the show. She loves the it. We usually sit down to watch it. I watch it to be with her and to take part in an activity that she enjoys. I don't get the fascination. Do women really love to see other women fail? Do they really enjoy seeing other women in a bad light? If so, why? How true to life is this terribly popular TV show?

For those who've not seen it: DH is about four women friends and their trials and tribulations. One is an overacheiving women who was a SAHM but wanted to get back "in the game," another is a busy-body who is terribly neurotic and annoying, another is an uptight Christian (who helped her husband die and is battling her son's homosexuality), another woman who is a total mercenary (she has an affair and is a mutually loveless marriage based on control) and last but not least is the narrator who committed suicide because she stole a young woman's baby and raised him as her own. All of this occurs on the same road. None of the characters seem to be decent. All are conniving and out to only achieve whatever goal they have in mind.

Is this show a window into a woman's psyche? If it is, I weep for my sons and there is no hope for Wife and me. I am truly interested in what others think, because I don't get it.

2 comments:

Kentonstore said...

I have never seen this show and from your description I feel lucky! Why anyone watches most of the stuff on the tube is beyond logic reason.

Mom of 3 said...

I refuse to watch it. I don't care about the acting or the humor, the premise of the show was a turnoff to me. The success of a show comprised of characters with bad immorals is just a sign of the culture we live in, that we would find this entertaining.

A guy I'm dating watches the show, and won't miss it. What does that say about him? Does he wish that he lived in such a neighborhood? I'll have to ask him why he watches it. It may be a dealbreaker.