Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ringing in the New Year

Sybil and I survived the New Year. We celebrated with some old friends, who live about an hour away. Nothing wild. I was asleep (not passed out) by 12:01 am. At 37 years old, I'm getting to old for that stuff. Everyone tries to get rid of the old stuff by making some New Year's Resolutions. I know, I know you all have been waiting with abated breath for mine so here they are:
  1. I resolve to take a deep breath and count to 10, when Sybil starts her rants.
  2. I resolve to improve my "active" listening skills.
  3. I resolve to improve my finances.
  4. I resolve to laugh every day.
  5. I resolve to worry less.
  6. I resolve to continue my workout regimen.
  7. I resolve not to kill Sybil and hide the body.
Ok, that last one was a joke. I guess. Well, I'm not going to kill her. Maybe metaphorically speaking. Not in reality. I'm sure you understand.

The new year will be an interesting one. I have no doubt.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Therese in Heaven said...

New Year's resolutions are hard. All your resolutions sound great, but I imagine the easiest ones will be 1 & 4 because they don't (seem to) require as much of a change. Well, hopefully the last one will be easy to keep too! ;)

I hope the tides turn in your marriage this year.

perdido said...

When I read your post and you talked about feeling old at 37 you about gave me a heart attack - I'll be 37 in August and I don't feel too old for that stuff at all!I often wonder if I act too young for my age...oh well!

Happy New Year and hope things get better in the communication area for you and Sybil!

JessiferSeabs said...

Aphron, I think that these are great resolutions.

And, I also resolved to become a better listener. I think I'm a good listener when I have all the right conditions for listening (not distracted, I WANT to listen, I'm not annoyed, etc), but if anything else catches my attention, I wander, and that's not fair -- it affects my relationship, my job, etc....

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not going to kill her. Maybe metaphorically speaking. Not in reality. I'm sure you understand.

I think Chris Rock said it best when he said, "If you've never contemplated murder, and the only thing holding you back is something you saw on CSI, then you've never been in love"

Another fitting quote, "If love was easy, we wouldn't have much music... and certainly no country-western music"

aphron said...

therese in heaven-
We'll see about that. Number one will be the easiest. Number 6 will be the hardest. The last one well...

casee01-
Acting young will keep you young. Sometimes I forget that. Usually, I feel an incredible weight on me. I hope the communication thing improves too. It doesn't help that English is Sybil's second language. Sometimes things get lost in translation.

jessiferseabs-
The wandering thing is what I really have to fight against.

joeflirt-
Exactly. Well said.