Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I'm Still Here

It's been a whole week! It must mean things are going well with Wife and me. Well, they are. Got the kids registered and back into school, so things are really becoming hectic.

I'd like other's feedback on the issue of parenting styles. For instance, yesterday was the first day of school. As I was dropping off the children at their respective schools, I noticed the parents parking, getting out of their cars and walking their children into school. This was not just at the primary school, but also at the intermediate and middle schools. Heck, even today parents were still going in with their children. Personally, I understand going, if the child is in kindergarten and maybe first grade. However, by the time of third grade and beyond isn't it time to cut the chord? My parenting style may need a little bit of work: I, essentially, pushed my first grader out the car door, in order to get the other two to their schools (at each child's drop off I waited just long enough for them to get out and then I moved along).
Is it me or are parents coddling their children? Aren't kids allowed to fall down and scrape their knee? Aren't children allowed to fail? Today's parents are trying to be Uber-parents, and they produced stressed out kids.

2 comments:

'nilla said...

Let me start by admitting I am a teacher with no kids. GASP. I currently teach second grade.


Is it me or are parents coddling their children?

OMG yes. I have one that when the lunch choice changes and she doesn't like it, she calls her mommy and the mommy comes in with whatever she wants. I'm conflicted by this. The mom is just down the road and seems to enjoy lunch with the kid. The kid is very well mannered and not a brat, so what's the harm really. It's not like she is bringing in macdonalds or anything, usually a really boring lunch like hard boiled eggs and such. It's a poor neighborhood. But I'd say that is coddled... lol.


Aren't kids allowed to fall down and scrape their knee?
OH GOD NO! Lawsuit! lol. My kids end up playing apart from most of the other kids because I still let them play "tag" GASP! WHAT IF SOMEONE GETS HURT?! and DOUBLE GASP you know run around and stuff.
weird. If they play with the other kids other teachers start imposing rules...like no tag, no football, no dodgeball, basically just stand around and try not to injure yourself. My rules are more like... "meh try not to kill each other but if you do, i'll still love you and visit you in jail, um the graveyard, respetively. seriously, you know what not to do now go have fun and don't be whining to me about every little thing."

to each teacher his own i guess.

Aren't children allowed to fail?
OMG NO!
This may damage their psychies...
lol I am the last of a dying breed that does not ask what 2 plus 2 is and when they say 5 say... well that's close"
I say, no that is WRONG. I don't scream WRONG WRONG WRONG YOU IGNORANT LOSER!!! But, I don't have a problem saying "no".

p.s. 95% of my kids aced the standardized math test.

If you want to walk your kid in the first day of school, that's fine. I had a parent who did it all year one year, THAT's ANNOYING. I asked the kid if it bothered him though and he said no, so I just let it continue. The most hectic time of day for teachers is in the morning and at dismisal though. So I appreciate the parents with few questions or just a friendly, good morning...

glad to hear things are going well and sorry for blathering...

aphron said...

It's good to see that I'm not alone. Wife and I may have our disagreements, but we are united on this issue. If anything, we get laughed at for being so "non-coddling." However, the other parents will sing praises for how our kids act and how resonspible they are.