Monday, August 01, 2005

Why I Like People Less and Less as I Age

Survived the weekend. The kids had a swim meet this weekend, so it means total chaos and confusion. This meet is the largest in the area. There about 10 teams represented with about a 100 swimmers per team. It marks the end of the summer swim season. The kids did very well. Daughter's relay team made it to finals, so we had to go back on Sunday. Son #1 had to be at a week-long camp yesterday, also. Anyway, we arrive at the meet at ~7:15am (after getting up at 5:30am to get everyone ready). They have warm-ups, and then we sit. Now, the meet is so big that the only space is outside, under a tent. For seven hours we sit and wait for her event. Meanwhile, one of her teammates has not shown up. The mother is a real nutcase. Needless to say, she never showed, we were scratched for the event, and our Sunday morning/afternoon was a total bust. We barely got Son#1 to camp on time.

Before leaving the swimmeet, another parent comes up to me and offers her condolences. I'm in a terrible mood, so I growl my list of grievances. Wife is sitting there telling the parent that it is no big deal. This makes me madder. Now, on the ride to camp, I get an earfull about my rude behavior. I am informed that I was yelling at everyone in sight and especially at Wife. Although I know I did not yell, I apologize to Wife and I will (rightfully) apologize to the parent that spoke to me. However, I feel totally justified in being angry and, to some extent, voicing my anger. Not only was our day wasted, but also (and most importantly) our daughter did not get to swim in the finals and, possibly, get a medal.

The mother that never showed needs to apologize to the other 3 girls that where there and ready to swim. Of course, she won't. She is one of those people that the world owes her everything. I seem to be running into more and more of these people. Just because you draw a breath does not mean you are owed anything. A little COMMON COURTESY would have totally fixed the problem. If something comes up, call us. We tried to call you but could reach you. WTF?!?!? People!

4 comments:

aphron said...

In all fairness to Wife, I said my piece a little too harshly. BUT, I told her that my reaction was a pretty normal reaction to have. Me getting angry in this instance is normal. My character flaw is open my mouth and say what I think. Her character flaw is to be too concerned with how people perceive what she says. It goes back to upbringing. In one of the lower posts, I had come to the realization that her family was very judgemental in everything a person does.

Anyway, arguing with her is like arguing with a stump: I may talk but she's not listening.

'nilla said...

Okay, I am not sure how this is going to be taken, and I should preface it by saying I am a strong advocate of traditional gender roles, but...

What would happen if you "flipped the script" so to speak? what if you took control of the marriage. What if you stopped considering her feelings so much and just did as you pleased?

I think she would be all concerned about pleasing you and making you "like her". And that you would be much happier.

Just a thought.

aphron said...

'nilla
Interesting concept.

aphron said...

Tajalude,
Tomorrow is the big day. Read the above post to "well" I've been handling it.